Senior Specialist, Project Engineer - Engineering Operations
Company: L3Harris Technologies
Posted on: September 15, 2023
Description: Job Title: Senior Specialist, Project Engineer -
Engineering Operations Job Code: IMS48 Job Location: Anaheim, CA or
Tulsa, OK Job Schedule: 9/80 Job Description: L3Harris Maritime
Power & Energy Solutions (MPES) is a worldwide leader in the
engineering, development, and manufacture of power conversion and
distribution systems for defense, governmental and advanced
industrial applications. The company's power conversion, power
conditioning and power protection solutions can be found in a wide
range of demanding military and commercial environments around the
world. We are able to see beyond the specified requirements to meet
the total requirements for the system. Our products demonstrate our
ability to bring new technology to product realization in demanding
environments. Power technology systems from L3Harris MPES are
virtually the service standard for the United States Navy and many
international navies. We have been providing customers with
reliable electrical power systems for decades. Our successes have
resulted from our ability to see beyond the system requirements, as
well as the products we are contracted to deliver. This position is
a senior professional, responsible for the engineering ownership,
oversight, and coordination of the cost, schedule, and technical
execution of projects within the MPES division. The ideal candidate
would be responsible for leading the engineering e3/continuous
improvement (CI) efforts within the division, support the project
engineering team on projects to meet customer and company
requirements and be involved in proposal development and proposal
management. Typical day to day activities include driving and
managing the creation, review, and submittal of project artifacts
such as plans, procedures, reports, design documents, and technical
manuals. As a project engineer within the MPES Engineering
Operations team, this position will work intimately with engineers
and cross-functions to provide Real Time support and guidance with
respect to project completion, driving efficiencies, risk
reduction, and continuous improvement. This position requires a
person that is highly detail oriented, structured, well-organized,
and can effectively communicate large amounts of data succinctly.
It also requires project/product lifecycle, e3/CI, and proposal
knowledge. This position will work closely with program management,
engineering, and cross-functional teams to ensure that a winning
proposal (technical, cost, schedule) is delivered on time and on
budget. This role will work closely with the project engineering
team (PE's and design engineers), as well as the Program Management
Office, Supply Chain, Quality, and Operations to ensure project,
proposal and e3 goals are met. Focal for division-wide engineering
e3/CI initiatives - works closely with project owners to identify
cost-savings and risk reduction opportunities that result in EAC
reduction. Uses LEAN or CI experience to champion and drive these
initiatives to completion. Own budget and schedule of their
programs assigned - manage day to day technical aspects of the
project, including cross-functional decision making, task/schedule
management, and issue resolution/escalation. Lead and/or
participate in the proposal process for technical approach/solution
and content. Work alongside cross-functional SME's to determine
MIR's (Most Important Requirements), assess risk, identify cost and
schedule needs, and perform within the allocated B&P budget.
- Project Engineering
- Establish and coordinate the technical risks/opportunities for
all major MPES programs to reduce MR/EAC.
- Support project engineering team on projects to meet customer
requirements within budget, schedule, and resource
- Assesses engineering project issues, helps develop solutions,
and leads the necessary teams and functions to ensure that both
project and company e3/CI financial targets and goals are
- Conduct design reviews to ensure that product elements meet
requirements (eg, ConDr, SRR, PDR, CDR, TRR, SVR, peer reviews)
- Coordinate and manage the MPES-wide risk and opportunity list,
recommending the priority and course of action, and solicit the
Program Management Office for financial support of mitigating
risks/achieving opportunities by initiating engineering e3/CI
- Leads the reviews and status of engineering e3/CI projects and
budgets, manages schedules, holds respective project owners
accountable, drives actions, prepares status reports, and escalates
issues to the Project Engineer(s) to solicit supporting
- Support the engineering team and participate in the
identification, selection, management, mitigation, and closure of
risks and opportunities on their respective registers.
- Manage day to day technical aspects of the individual
engineering e3/CI project(s), including cross-functional decision
making, task/schedule management, issue resolution/escalation,
communication, requirements management, and risk management
activities. Activities overseen include software, digital,
electrical power, mechanical, integrated logistics support,
configuration management, and systems engineering.
- Champions Performance First implementation of e3 standard
project work which includes leading the oversight and coordination
of technical and programmatic risk reduction and opportunities
capture of major engineering projects.
- Establish and develop common best practices such as monthly
technical program reviews and budget/schedule updates. Coordinate
and lead roll out of the best practices to the Engineering
- Leads the Engineering Operations (Eng Ops) team to provide the
necessary metrics and analyses for monthly cadences, reviews, and
presentations for engineering e3/CI.
- Proposal Development/Proposal Management
- Support the proposal process for drafting technical volume,
Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) definition, cost estimation, risk
estimation, and technical schedule creation
- Interpret RFP requirements and lead the creation of proposal
technical approach and content
- Understand and execute project/product lifecycle and proposal
- Works closely with program management, engineering, and
cross-functional teams to ensure that a winning proposal
(technical, cost, schedule) is delivered on time and on
- Drive and manage the creation, review, and submittal of project
artifacts such as plans, procedures, reports, design documents, and
- Manage day to day technical aspects of the project, including
cross-functional decision making, task/schedule management, issue
resolution/escalation, communication, requirements management, and
risk management activities. Activities overseen include software,
digital, electrical power, mechanical, configuration management,
and systems engineering.
- Able to travel at least 10-15% when necessary to other MPES
- Ability to obtain and maintain secret clearance.
- Bachelor's Degree and minimum 6 years of prior relevant
experience, or Graduate Degree and a minimum of 4 years of prior
related experience. In lieu of a degree, minimum of 10 years of
prior related experience.
- Minimum 2 years of project leadership experience.
- LEAN, Six Sigma, CI/Kaizen experience and/or certification.
Experience with Earned Value Management.
- Possess a solid understanding/experience with development
engineering processes such as lean product development, Design for
X (DFX), Six Sigma concepts, product life cycle management, and
- Experience with Technical Supplier Management, Risk and
- Experience with project proposals, responding to RFP's/RFQ's
either as a content provider or proposal lead.
- Experience with best practices for project engineering and
- Experience managing projects with budgets of $1M+.
- Solid experience in leading integrated product teams. Preferred
- Ability to analyze the assigned project, break down work into
functional disciplines and plan out a means for the work to be
- Experience with management of design to cost activities.
- Experience in program management office - managing
multi-discipline programs across multiple locations.
- Manufacturing, Quality, or Supply Chain experience, a
- Direct people management experience, a plus.
- Exceptional verbal communication skills both for collaboration
and for internal/external customer and leadership
- Excellent at MS Office. In compliance with pay transparency
requirements, the salary range for this role is $100,000 - $186,000
(California); $87,000 - $162,000 (Oklahoma). This is not a
guarantee of compensation or salary, as final offer amount may vary
based on factors including but not limited to experience and
geographic location. L3Harris also offers a variety of benefits,
including health and disability insurance, 401(k) match, flexible
spending accounts, EAP, education assistance, parental leave, paid
time off, and company-paid holidays. The specific programs and
options available to an employee may vary depending on date of
hire, schedule type, and the applicability of collective bargaining
Keywords: L3Harris Technologies, Tulsa , Senior Specialist, Project Engineer - Engineering Operations, Engineering , Tulsa, Oklahoma
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!