Medical Record Coder, Edwards AFB, CA, US, ID# 16450
Company: Cherokee Nation Businesses
Posted on: January 17, 2020
Medical Record Coder, Edwards AFB, CA, US, ID# 16450
Cherokee Nation Operational Solutions (CNOS) provides a complete
line of medical equipment and supplies along with innovative office
products and services to businesses and health care facilities
throughout North America. Wholly owned by Cherokee Nation, Cherokee
Nation Operational Solutions is part of the Cherokee Nation
Businesses' family of companies.
For more company information, visit our site at
Cherokee Nation Operations Solutions has been contracted to support
DoD Healthcare Management System Modernization (DHMSM) program with
their conversion to new Electronic Health Record (EHR) system.
Support will be given to site clinical resources for conversion and
We are looking for Medical Record Coders who will code records for
Military Treatment Facilities (MTFs). Responsible for assignment of
accurate Evaluation and Management (E&M) codes, ICD diagnoses,
current procedural terminology (CPT) and Healthcare Common
Procedure Coding System (HCPCS), modifiers and quantities derived
from medical record documentation (paper or electronic) for
outpatient encounters. Trains and educates MTF staff on coding
issues and plays a significant role in coding compliance
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Position requires excellent computer/communication skills for
provider and staff interactions.
* Knowledge of anatomy/physiology and disease process, medical
terminology, coding guidelines (outpatient), documentation
requirements, familiarity with medications and reimbursement
guidelines; and encoder experience.
* Candidate must have ability to handle multiple projects and
appropriately prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
* Manually enter data for patient data whose record transfer did
* Check source documents for accuracy within EHR.
* Verify data and correct data where necessary.
* Obtain further information for incomplete documents.
* Update data and delete unnecessary files.
* Ensure referrals are dispositioned.
* Manual entry of patient ancillary appointments.
* Combine and rearrange data from source documents where
* Enter data from source documents into prescribed computer
database, files and forms.
* Transcribe information into required electronic format.
* Scan documents into document management systems or databases.
* Coordinate in a professional and courteous manner with patients
and clinic staffs to resolve patient issues and concerns.
* Check completed work for accuracy.
* Perform other duties as required or assigned.
* No supervisory/management authority.
EDUCATON AND EXPERIENCE
* The following are recognized certifications: Registered Health
Information Technologist (RHIT), Registered Health Information
Administrator (RHIA), Certified Professional Coder (CPC) CCS-P
(Certified Coder Specialist - Physician (CCS-P) with the
appropriate level of experience. An accrediting institution
recognized by the American Health Information Management
Association (AHIMA) and/or American Academy of Professional Coders
(AAPC) must accredit education Prepare, compile and sort documents
for data entry within a DoD approved EHR system.
* Contract medical coders will obtain the required continued
education hours at no expense to the government in order to
maintain current and proper national certification(s) required for
the position. Experience.
* A minimum of three year experience in the outpatient setting
(physician's office or ambulatory surgery centers) within the last
five years, including assignment of E&M, CPT, and HCPCS
* Multiple specialties encompass different medical specialties
(i.e. Family Practice, Pediatrics, Gastroenterology, OB/GYN, etc.)
that utilize ICD, E&M, CPT, and HCPCS codes. Ancillary
specialties (PT/OT, Radiology, Lab, Nutrition, etc.) that usually
do NOT use E&M codes do not count as qualifying experience.
* Additionally, coding, auditing and training exclusively for
specialties such as home health, skilled nursing facilities, and
rehabilitation care will not be considered as qualifying
* Coding experience limited to making codes conform to specific
payer requirements for the business office (insurance billing,
accounts receivable) is not a qualifying factor. Two years of
outpatient/ambulatory surgery experience may be qualifying if
received in a military medical facility.
* Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* Excellent verbal and telephone communication skills
* Excellent interpersonal skills.
* Typing speed of 40 words per minute
* Excellent customer service skills & pleasant phone voice
* Able to handle high volume of calls and customer contacts in a
polite and professional manner
* Able to talk on telephone and type at the same time
* U.S. citizenship and the ability to pass security clearance
* Common Access Card (CAC) Required or recently held active
* Responsible for assignment of accurate E&M, ICD, CPT and
HCPCS codes and modifiers from medical record documentation.
Identifies and abstracts information from medical records (paper or
electronic) for special studies and audits, internal and external.
Interacts with MTF staff to ensure documentation is clear and
supports coding assignments.
* Educates MTF staff through individual or group in-services and
* Maintains a delinquency report of missing records in order to
facilitate completion of work within the required thresholds.
* Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application (AHLTA)
Composite Health Care systems (CHCS) and/or MHS GENESIS Defense
Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS); Military Filing
System - by sponsor social security number, terminal digit order,
color-coded and blocked filing system.
* Contents of a military medical record, layout, sections, family
member prefix designation, forms used in a MTF, and the medical
record tracking procedures. EssentrisTM, the client-server version
of the Clinical Information System (CIS) Coding Compliance Editor
(CCE) Systems Biometric Data Quality Assurance Service (BDQAS) -
https://bdqas.afms.mil/index2.htm Reserved. MHS Coding Guidelines
* Travel to work location. The work is primarily sedentary.
Requirements may include prolonged walking, standing, sitting or
bending. Carrying or lifting of medical records may be required
daily. Use of one or more computer programs and monitors may be
required to efficiently accomplish duties.
With $400 million in annual revenue, 20% growth per year,
approximately 950+ active contracts serving 60+ government agencies
in 25 countries, 47 states, 2 territories and 2000+ employees,
Cherokee Nation Businesses' (CNB) group of Federal Contracting
Section 8(a) companies is well positioned to deliver expertise
needed to solve complex technical issues. Federal Solutions
provides an array of services for 12 of the 15 cabinet-level
departments and agencies - from applications and data services to
cybersecurity and national defense.
Why consider Cherokee Nation and our Federal Solutions business?
Here are some great resources highlighting what we do and
compelling reasons for joining our team!
Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security
investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
disability, protected Veteran status, gender identity and
Keywords: Cherokee Nation Businesses, Tulsa , Medical Record Coder, Edwards AFB, CA, US, ID# 16450, Healthcare , Tulsa, Oklahoma
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!