RN Renal Care Coordinator - Tulsa, OK - Gastroenterology
Company: Fresenius Medical Care
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Job ID 21000PV2Available Openings 1Position Specific Information
2000 S Wheeling Ave, Ste 510 Tulsa, OK Schedule: M-F, no nights, no
weekends, no holidays!PURPOSE AND SCOPE:Organizes the care and
follow up for late stage CKD patients to ensure a planned
transition into Renal Replacement Therapy (RRT). Focuses on
improving the preparation of late stage CKD patients who need to
start RRT by ensuring each patient receives treatment modality
education and receives the most suitable permanent access, while
minimizing the use of temporary catheters. The Renal Care
Coordinator ensures every late stage CKD patient receives
appropriate coordination of care in order to begin RRT at the
facility designated by the Nephrology Practice and the
patient.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partners with appropriate teams, including providers and FMC-NA
staff, to provide, coordinate and integrate Kidney Care:365
(KC-365) modality education, to coordinate placement and
maintenance of a permanent dialysis access and to reduce the
incidence of non-optimal starts to RRT. Activities include the
- Liaisons with appropriate staff to ensure every patient and
family member (if applicable) receives comprehensive information on
specific modality advantages and disadvantages, hemodialysis
treatments both at home and in-center, peritoneal dialysis, kidney
transplantation and conservative care, as well as education on
hemodialysis access types with focus on the health and safety
benefits of AV Fistula or AV-Graft compared to central venous
- Identifies and addresses patient financial and insurance
resources and concerns as needed.
- Organizes the Nephrology Practice late stage CKD patient
population with regard to CKD education, including modality
selection, permanent access placement and maintenance and a stable
transition to RRT.
- Utilizes appropriate EHR, to develop and maintain a HIPAA
compliant database of information about late stage CKD patients in
the program providing reports and analyses, identifying trends,
anomalies and areas of concern. Participates in the interpretation
of summary clinical data and its use in improving late stage CKD
- Participates in the complex decision-making of modality
selection and the creation and maintenance of a permanent dialysis
access for patients starting RRT.
- Assesses patients' knowledge of late stage CKD and treatments,
educating and informing patients to enable them to make informed
decisions regarding the steps to manage health issues during the
transition to RRT.
- Provides support, guidance and coordination of care for
patients seeking conservative care or palliative care.
- Participates with appropriate staff and teams to facilitate
community--- focused education initiatives for Primary Care
Physicians (PCPs) such as the following:
- Delivers educational programs designed to build greater
awareness in the local medical community of the importance of
timely referral of CKD patients for nephrology care by PCP in order
to reduce the incidence of acute ESRD onset without the benefit of
such care and to improve management of co-morbid diseases for
patients starting RRT.
- Facilitates 'face-to-face' educational meetings with community
PCPs regarding different stages of kidney disease and the timelines
regarding the appropriate care and actions for the particular stage
in the disease.
- Develops processes to promote communication between the
Nephrology Practice and other providers such as vascular and PD
surgeons to improve the care of late stage CKD patients and improve
the opportunity of patients to start RRT with a permanent
- Participates in the collection and analysis of clinical data
that supports a dialysis outcomes tracking mechanism for all ESRD
patients first day of dialysis through the first 30 days of
- Provides regular in person and telephonic interventions to
incident patients focusing on access management, treatment
adherence and barrier resolution.
- Participates in meetings to review the RCC program within the
practice and to review pertinent RCC data. Participate other
meetings as requested by the CKD leadership team.
- Escalates issues to supervisor/manager for resolution, as
- Review and comply with the Code of Business Conduct and all
applicable company policies and procedures, local, state and
federal laws and regulations.
- Assist with various projects as assigned by direct
- Performs other duties as assigned.PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and
interaction with patients, patient families, facility staff,
physicians and the community at large. The work environment is
characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature
control and moderate noise levels.
- The position requires travel between facilities and various
locations within the community. Travel to regional, divisional and
corporate meetings may be required.SUPERVISION:
- Bachelor's Degree EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 2 - 5 years' previous experience in clinical patient care or
case management required.
- Proficient with computers, Microsoft Office applications and
Windows operating systems.
- A combination of hemodialysis, PD, transplantation, CKD
education, case management and nutritional training highly
- Renal transplant, dialysis, or CKD patient care preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of renal disease and renal transplant
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills- good
- Ability to communicate and maintain effective interpersonal
relationships at various levels of the organization.
- Understanding of diabetes and cardiovascular disease process
and current case management practices required.
- Good understanding of relationship between the dialysis
providers and the physician practice.
- Ability to determine when coordination may be performed by
telephone or written instruction and when approval by a higher
level of authority such as a physician or other health care
provider is required.
- Ability to travel with a valid driver's license.
- Preferred experience in teaching/education and counseling in
complex multi-site organization.
- Must be highly self-motivated, dependable and organized.EO/AA
Orientation/Gender Identity Fresenius Medical Care North America
maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable
federal and state laws.
Keywords: Fresenius Medical Care, Tulsa , RN Renal Care Coordinator - Tulsa, OK - Gastroenterology, Healthcare , Tulsa, Oklahoma
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!