Senior Specialist, Project Engineer - Engineering Operations
Company: L3Harris Technologies
Posted on: September 20, 2023
Description: Job Title: Senior Specialist, Project Engineer -
Job Code: IMS20231209-105943
Job Location: Anaheim, CA or Tulsa, OK
Job Schedule: 9/80
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse,
high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our
employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers'
mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an
inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and
promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an
unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and
commitment to excellence in everything we do.
About L3Harris Technologies:
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense
technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet
customers' mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced
defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea
and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual
revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100
L3Harris Maritime Power & Energy Solutions (MPES) is a worldwide
leader in the engineering, development, and manufacture of power
conversion and distribution systems for defense, governmental and
advanced industrial applications. The company's power conversion,
power conditioning and power protection solutions can be found in a
wide range of demanding military and commercial environments around
the world. We are able to see beyond the specified requirements to
meet the total requirements for the system. Our products
demonstrate our ability to bring new technology to product
realization in demanding environments. Power technology systems
from L3Harris MPES are virtually the "service standard" for the
United States Navy and many international navies. We have been
providing customers with reliable electrical power systems for
decades. Our successes have resulted from our ability to see beyond
the system requirements, as well as the products we are contracted
This position is a senior professional, responsible for the
engineering ownership, oversight, and coordination of the cost,
schedule, and technical execution of projects within the MPES
division. The ideal candidate would be responsible for leading the
engineering e3/continuous improvement (CI) efforts within the
division, support the project engineering team on projects to meet
customer and company requirements and be involved in proposal
development and proposal management.
Typical day to day activities include driving and managing the
creation, review, and submittal of project artifacts such as plans,
procedures, reports, design documents, and technical manuals. As a
project engineer within the MPES Engineering Operations team, this
position will work intimately with engineers and cross-functions to
provide real-time support and guidance with respect to project
completion, driving efficiencies, risk reduction, and continuous
improvement. This position requires a person that is highly detail
oriented, structured, well-organized, and can effectively
communicate large amounts of data succinctly. It requires
project/product lifecycle (design and development) and continuous
improvement (cost takeout) knowledge. This position will work
closely with project engineering, program management, design
engineering, and other cross-functional teams (such as operations)
to ensure that tangible engineering project cost savings,
improvements, and efficiencies are achieved.
1) Project Engineering
- Establish and coordinate the technical risks/opportunities for
all major MPES programs to reduce MR/EAC.
- Support project engineering team on projects to meet customer
requirements within budget, schedule, and resource commitments.
- Assesses engineering project issues, helps develop solutions, and
leads the necessary teams and functions to ensure that both project
and company e3/CI financial targets and goals are achieved.
- Coordinating and managing the MPES-wide risk and opportunity
list, recommending the priority and course of action, and
soliciting the Program Management Office for financial support of
mitigating risks / achieving opportunities by initiating
engineering e3/CI project(s).
- Leads the reviews and status of engineering e3/CI projects and
budgets, manages schedules, holds respective project owners
accountable, drives actions, prepares status reports, and escalates
issues to the Project Engineer(s) to solicit supporting
- Supporting the engineering team and participating in the
identification, selection, management, mitigation, and closure of
risks and opportunities on their respective registers.
- Managing day to day technical aspects of the individual
engineering e3/CI project(s), including cross-functional decision
making, task/schedule management, issue resolution/escalation,
communication, and risk management activities. Activities overseen
include software, digital, electrical power, mechanical, integrated
logistics support, configuration management, and systems
-Leads the Engineering Operations (Eng Ops) team to provide the
necessary metrics and analyses for monthly cadences, reviews, and
presentations for engineering e3/CI.
- Works closely with the project engineering team (PE's and design
engineers), as well as PMO, Supply Chain, Quality, and Operations
to ensure that project and e3 goals are met.
- Focal for division-wide engineering e3/CI initiatives - works
closely with project owners to identify cost-savings and risk
reduction opportunities that result in EAC/MR reduction.
- Collaborates and influences program and project stakeholders,
including key leaders, to achieve improvement and cost takeout
- Can own budget and schedule of their programs assigned or closely
supports PE/e3 project owner - manages day to day technical aspects
of the project, including cross-functional decision making,
task/schedule management, and issue resolution/escalation.
- Strong ability to influence - utilizes data, sound judgement and
rationale, and excellent communication skills to gain alignment and
- Ability to analyze the assigned project, break down work into
functional disciplines and plan out a means for the work to be
- Understands project and technical risks - able to quantify and
proactively generate mitigation plans.
- Experience with best practices for project engineering and
- Exceptional verbal communication skills both for collaboration
and for internal/external customer and leadership
- Able to travel at least 10-15% when necessary to other MPES
- Ability to obtain and maintain secret clearance.
- Bachelor's Degree and minimum 6 years of prior relevant
experience, or Graduate Degree and a minimum of 4 years of prior
related experience. In lieu of a degree, minimum of 10 years of
prior related experience.
- 3+ year's experience working within a technical, or project
leadership role- worked with or led a technical team to achieve
project goals and deliverables.
- 2+ year's of strong design and development experience -
understands the product development lifecycle from requirements to
testing to transition to production. Able to identify areas within
the development lifecycle that are wasteful, redundant, or
inefficient, and drives actions to achieve tangible
- Excellent experience with MS Office Suite.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- LEAN, Six Sigma, CI/Kaizen experience and/or certification.
Experience with Earned Value Management.
- Experience managing projects with budgets of $1M+.
- Strong experience in leading integrated product teams.
- Experience with management of design to cost activities.
- Experience with Technical Supplier Management and/or Risk and
- Experience in program management office - managing
multi-discipline programs across multiple locations.
- Manufacturing, Quality, or Supply Chain experience, a plus.
- Direct people management experience, a plus.
Keywords: L3Harris Technologies, Tulsa , Senior Specialist, Project Engineer - Engineering Operations, Other , Sapulpa, Oklahoma
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!