Mechanical Engineer Intern
Company: L-3 National Security Solutions
Posted on: May 19, 2019
Description MECHANICAL ENGINEER INTERN Our world-class expertise in
connecting space, airborne, ground and sea-based platforms with
secure, real-time data drives our communications business in
addressing the heightened global demand for advanced solutions. As
a prime contractor, we are a key integrator in state-of-the-art
maritime platforms. Our power conversion, power conditioning and
power protection solutions can be found in a wide range of
demanding military and commercial environments around the world. We
embrace innovative and progressive ideas to advance our products
for our customers across the globe. We are searching for a
Mechanical Engineer Intern for our Maritime Power Systems - Tulsa,
OK location. Under supervision and mentorship, the Mechanical
Engineer Intern will be assigned a specific project where he/she
will be responsible for assisting lead mechanical engineers in
design, layout and packaging of power equipment and other shipboard
electronic systems. Generates equipment layouts that satisfy system
requirements in accordance with governing contracts and applicable
commercial and military specifications. Support the Engineering
department through, basic drafting functions, testing support,
basic engineering functions, but not limited to research of
components, troubleshooting shop problems and provide general
engineering support. Checks drawings for accuracy and completeness
against requirements/compliance matrix. Assist with completion of
detailed drawing packages. Responsibilities:
- Interprets layouts and sketches and perform the necessary
dimensioning for (high and low) power generation distribution,
control required to satisfy form, fit and function per given set of
- Check drawings for accuracy and correctness before submitting
for release. Investigates shop problems and performs research on
solutions. Provides answers and prepares documentation to complete
these issues. Assists in the generation of Engineering Change
Proposals (ECP)s for product improvements, obsolete part
replacements, and/or customer requested changes. Assists in
development of test fixtures/stands for testing prototype units.
Must be able to provide structured and coherent results of tests in
preparation for engineering analysis.
- Researches and analyzes data such as customer design proposal
and specifications to determine feasibility of design or
- Utilizes the SolidWorks 3D CAD system to create mechanical
layouts, models and drawings.
- Will be assigned and will work with a Mentor on a specific
design project. This will include design reviews and peer reviews
to ensure completed design meets all specification and
- Interface with fabrication and assembly groups to ensure
products and systems conform to engineering design and customer
- Performs some thermal and structural analyses under the
guidance of lead mechanical engineers.
- Uses established and well defined engineering procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor, Project or
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Science degree program for
Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology or
similar curriculum, from four-year College or University. Must have
completed minimum of 2 years towards degree. Design/manufacturing
experience of power generation/distribution/conversion products is
a bonus. Need proficiency in SolidWorks.
- Practical experience with 3D CAD and CFD / FEA analysis
software tools (Dassault SolidWorks preferred, including analytical
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Practical experience using Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel,
- Working experience with design and/or structural analysis of
- Work is typically conducted in an office environment with
frequent visits to Production and Fabrication areas for design
- Sustained visual/mental attention to critical details, accuracy
and time constraints are required.
- Must have knowledge of Mil-Specifications and/or commercial
standards (e. g. ASTM, SAE, ASME) for design, hardware, materials
and processes, and testing. L3 Technologies is an
Keywords: L-3 National Security Solutions, Tulsa , Mechanical Engineer Intern, Other , Tulsa, Oklahoma
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!